Did your parents or grandparents also take cod liver oil? They sure did! Fishy, oily, greasy - simply disgusting! Whole generations grew up with this penetrating taste of cod liver oil until it finally disappeared from the shelves. Cod liver oil is a great source of omega 3 but nowadays, taking supplements with omega-3 essential fatty acids EPA is clearly the more pleasant way to go.
Omega-3 fatty acids are found mainly in marine fish and algae and are a vital part of the human diet. They regulate important bodily functions such as blood pressure, heart rate or the immune system and are found as a component of nerve cells, especially in the brain and retina. The two most important omega-3 fatty acids are eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), both obtained mainly from fish oils and marine algae. To be able to integrate these fatty acids into supplements, they must first be extracted using complex processes. But have you ever wondered what exactly the process of omega-3 fish oil capsules looks like? We would like to give you an insight into our omega-3 capsule production process and show you how we manufacture our supplements.
Omega-3 fatty acids ALA, DHA and EPA perform several important functions in metabolism.
The most important are these:
- DHA contributes to the maintenance of normal triglyceride levels (blood lipids)
- DHA contributes to normal brain function
- DHA contributes to normal vision
- EPA and DHA contribute to normal heart function
- EPA and DHA contribute to the maintenance of normal blood pressure
To learn more about the effects of omega-3, feel free to read our article "Why is Omega-3 so important for our health?".
Omega-3 intake is extremely important, since there is a great omega-3 poverty in the world population in general. Therefore, those who do not include enough oily fish in their diet should use supplements. Our mission at AAVALABS is to produce products that are first and foremost fresh and pure. Our development and production processes are subjected to several rigorous tests in order to provide our customers with the best possible quality. Transparency about our ingredients and about our production is of utmost importance to us. Too often, we as consumers have no insight or certainty about what we are actually consuming. We want to put an end to this uncertainty.
For the production of our omega-3 supplements, our products go through a molecular distillation and a double filter system. We will explain step by step how the process works.
The raw material of the Omega 3 fish oil comes from the Pacific Ocean. More precisely, it comes from the Peruvian coast and is obtained from anchovies. The small anchovies are a very fatty fish and belong to the fish with the highest content of omega-3 fatty acids. Therefore, they are ideal for obtaining healthy and natural omega-3 for food supplements. For us, at Aavalabs, it is especially important that we use a sustainable and natural source of omega-3, which allows us to have high-quality and fresh products. On the Peruvian coast, there are masses of anchovies. The fish species is not threatened with extinction and does not have to be extracted from cultivars.
With the goal of producing a pure product in mind, our product goes through molecular distillation as well as a double filter system.
1. First, our omega-3 fish oil raw material in its raw form goes through an esterification process. This process ensures that the fish oil becomes even more concentrated than in its original, raw form.
2. Once this complex process is complete, a molecular distillation of the fish oil takes place. This distillation is enormously important because it carefully cleanses the concentrated omega-3 fatty acid of impurities such as heavy metals, pesticides, and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs). Molecular distillation is a very important process step in the production of omega-3 and is considered a particularly gentle process. It takes place at very low temperatures and differs from common distillation processes in that it operates in a free vacuum range between 1 and 0.001 mbar. The fish oil is heated to various temperatures under a vacuum for a short time. It is an excellent type of distillation, especially for thermally sensitive substances - such as omega-3 fatty acids. In addition, molecular distillation provides the advantage of not producing trans fats. Trans fats are unsaturated fatty acids that are formed when oil is industrially hydrogenated. They are formed when oil is heated very strongly or several times over a long period of time. One example is fat from a deep fryer.
3. After molecular distillation, our omega-3 goes through two more rounds of filtration:
4. Et voilá! Ready is our pure, clean and concentrated omega-3 fish oil!
A total of 4 tests are performed to ensure that we are providing the best possible quality to our customers. The different tests take place from the raw material to the finished capsule. To ensure that our fish oil meets all European guidelines, it is tested before being processed for the supplements. It is checked for heavy metals and contaminants. We take the tests very seriously. They are very strict and if fish oil does not meet our high standards, it is immediately rejected and not used for our supplements under any circumstances. In such a case, the process starts all over again to obtain a flawless raw material. Once we are 100% certain that the fish oil does not contain any heavy metals or contaminants and the test is deemed positive, we test the active ingredients of the raw material to ensure that the ingredients we use meet our product specifications for omega-3 content, EPA and DHA. After testing, the product goes into production where the fish oil is encapsulated and tested again for heavy metals, contaminants and also for visual characteristics and active ingredients. When everything is perfect, we can go to the final stage of our production process and fill the bottles and fill the supplements for our customers.
However, even after the products are packaged, our supplements continue to be tested. Once a year, samples are sent to a third-party laboratory for testing to ensure that the product and ingredients meet our standards, as well as European quality standards, before being sold to customers.
Taking supplements is an important decision for your health. If you decide to take capsules regularly, you should definitely be aware of the individual ingredients. Read the ingredients list, find out about the production process and quality standards.
If you have any questions about our omega-3 fish oil capsules or any other dietary supplements,contact our multilingual customer service team!
We are more than happy to share our passion for pure and fresh products that support our and your active lifestyle!
"There should be effective supplements on the international market that are as pure as Nordic nature!" This was the thought of Otso Kääriäinen, founder & CEO of AAVALABS, when he decided to start the company together with his parents 10 years ago.
Otso comes from Finland and grew up with the mindset that nature provides us with all the ingredients we need to promote our well-being. With this strong belief, he built AAVALABS together with his parents and started to develop pure and fresh supplements.
Learn more about the story behind AAVALABS and how Otso made his vision come true!
It' s small, green and nutrient-rich. What are we talking about?
Exactly! About the super algae chlorella!
Have you ever heard of chlorella? But do you really know what it is?
In today's article, we want to give the algae the attention it deserves! We'll clarify what chlorella actually is, how it grows and what benefits it can bring us.
Are you ready for more GREEN in your life? Then let's get started!
Do you read the labels of your supplements in detail?
When buying supplements, many people just quickly skim the list of ingredients without really understanding what's actually behind them.
We admit: The list of ingredients in dietary supplements can be very hard to understand. What many consumers don't know is that supplements from some brands contain many unnecessary ingredients in addition to vitamins and minerals.
Avoid supplements with a long list of "inactive ingredients" on the label. Because some of these additives can be harmful to your health.
We explain what exactly additives are and why they are sometimes found in supplements. Learn which additives you should avoid no matter what, so you know what ingredients to look out for the next time you buy.